What We Believe
The United Methodist Church is a 12.3-million-strong global church that opens hearts, opens minds and open doors through active engagement with our world. Read more at umc.org.
Kay Hereford Voorhees, Pastor
Horton Monroe, Choir Director
Carla McCauley, Special Programs Coordinator
Dorothy Ballenger, Organist/Pianist
Joe McCauley, Custodian
A Brief History of OHUMC
Old Hickory United Methodist Church was first organized in 1925 and met in the “little gym,” currently the site of the Old Hickory Community Center. The construction of the current sanctuary was begun with services held in the basement. The sanctuary was completed in 1929 at a cost of $30,000. The first service was held on the first Sunday in 1929. Pews replaced folding chairs in 1936.
In 1939, the educational annex was completed at a cost of $10,000. A second floor was added in 1954.
The sanctuary was remodeled and redecorated in 1967 with new cushioned pews added in 1990. Marvin Rodgers memorials placed new pew Bibles, lectern, wedding candle, Advent wreath, Paschal candlestick, communion ware, and candelabra in the sanctuary.
In 1982, the Prayer Room was built.
The stained-glass windows were installed in 1983, given in memory or in honor of loved ones.
The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in May 1985.
Over the years, we have continued to upgrade and improve the church building to provide the best space possible for the edification of believers and the worship of God.